When it comes to skincare, there’s one nutrient that’s considered the Holy Grail of all skincare products – vitamin C. It has been crowned as one of the best anti-oxidant ingredients and is widely used in serums and lotions. From adding a radiant-looking glow to your otherwise dull and boring skin, to slowing down the skin’s aging process, vitamin C serum for face benefits and face creams have taken the world by storm. But should you really add it to your face regime? Let’s find out!
What is vitamin C and is it really helpful?
Vitamin C is a natural nutrient and water-soluble antioxidant that improves skin health and is required for the growth as well as the repair of tissues in the body. The human body cannot produce vitamin C on its own and rather sources it from fruits and vegetables that are fairly rich in it. These days, you can get vitamin C serum for face benefits from almost anywhere and can directly apply it to the skin for faster results.
How does vitamin C serums help the skin?
Vitamin C is a powerhouse of nutrients and has many benefits. Some of it is listed below.
- Vitamin C fights radicals: Your skin is your first line of defence against free radicals in the skin that damage the dermis. Free radicals are caused by environmental aggressors, such as pollution, sunlight, UV rays, and more. These destroy the moisture barrier of the skin and adversely impact the skin colour and texture. When you use a vitamin C serum, it neutralizes the free radicals thereby protecting the skin.
- Helps in anti-ageing: Vitamin C helps in the proper synthesis of collagen – a protein that provides structure to the skin. When collagen production in the body slows down, the skin starts losing its firmness and elasticity, thereby leading to skin sagging. It also leads to fine lines and wrinkles. It being a collagen booster, vitamin C improves the skin’s overall elasticity, keeping it firm and tight for a longer period of time.
- Hydrates dry skin: Women are aware of vitamin C serum for face benefits – that it fights radicals, but they aren’t aware of the fact that it also comes with hydrating properties. Studies have shown that vitamin C serums are great for lowering transepidermal water loss. It strengthens the skin barrier, helps in locking the moisture in, thereby preventing water loss from the cells.
- Brightens complexion: You probably know this already, but for those who don’t know, vitamin C has skin brightening properties. Pollution and UV rays tend to make your skin look dull and lacklustre, but continued use of a natural vitamin C serum would replenish the skin from the inside, and give it a bright look. It adds a natural luminance to your complexion and gives you a fresh feel.
- Reduces dark spots and pigmentation: We’ve already talked about vitamin C’s skin brightening properties, but it helps in more ways. It works from the inside and helps in lightening dark spots and pigments. It inhibits abnormal production of melanin and evens out the skin tone, lightens sun spots, acne scars, blemishes, and more.
Vitamin C serum really works. In fact, it’s a miracle product that seems to work on all skin types. However, buy vitamin C serum for face benefits from reliable sources to make sure that you get nothing but the absolute best – a quality, natural product. That said, we recommend performing a patch test when you lay hands on it, particularly if you have hypersensitive skin. Use quality vitamin C products every day, to find out how they can really add a glow to your skin and be of wondrous help in fighting different kinds of skin problems like acne, scars, blemishes, sun spots, dark spots, blackheads, and more. In short, it’s a great skincare product without being overly pricey.